Monday, April 04, 2005

god is dead. meet the kids

The title was taken from neil gaiman's journal.

His upcoming book is called Anansi Boys.
Anansi is a West African spider god. Some of his stories are online here. There are a lot of good links if you search for him in Google. He's a trickster god and Anansi Boys is a fun read. It's funny and I can't wait to read the whole book. Unfortunately it comes out in September.
I had hoped Gaiman will be able to sign it when (or if hehe) he comes in July but I will be contented if he signs my other books.
Neil Gaiman has posted a part of his new book at his site but if you really want to have fun and you have the bandwidth to spare, I suggest you watch him read parts of it instead.

All you need is real player :)

He's a great reader. I appreciated his story, Shoggoth's Old Peculiar, only after i listened to him read it.
---------------
We now have a tv again :) my old big screen tv was too old (around 13-15 years old i'm not sure) and it retired. So we bought a new one yesterday and it is so cool. Now I don't have to watch DVDs in neal's laptop.

I also got my Extended version of the Lord of the Rings, Return of the King DVD (finally). I also have the statue of Minas Tirith which is so beautiful I put it back in the box for safe keeping while my room is still a war zone.
--------------
I also spent the weekend celebrating my birthday.

Haha I declared it a 3-day weekend. Unofficial of course but fun nevertheless.

The first day was spent night swimming in 8 waves in Bulacan. Neal and I went with his siblings and most of their significant others. It was great since it was also the first time for me to go with them on an outing :) All of them live in Bulacan and I'm the only one too far away to go night swimming with them. Back at the house, neal's dad showed us a picture of neal when he was around two years old and he looked just like his brother George! I'll steal it someday and scan it hehe.

The next day, I met with my friends Dawn and Arf. We went to Greenhills and ate at Genji, the conveyor belt sushi place and we ate a LOT. We were celebrating Arf's and my birthday. I learned that Arians with credit cards and a love for Japanese food, should never be placed beside a conveyor belt filled with sushi, sashimi, nigiri ... :D Arf reacted the same way I did when I first ate in Genji: pick up lots of stuff from the revolving conveyor belt! We were so full we had to walk it off or fall asleep at the table.
We spent the rest of the day shopping. Arf and I bought some clothes. I got a skirt and my ultimate white polo :) It's so cute. I also got a girly girl (aka feminine) ensemble from Arf and Dawn as a present. I requested it from them and Arf pulled through and chose a beautiful pale yellow skirt and a sleeveless white cotton blouse. It's so pretty!
Ok, people who actually know me and know how I dress will be shocked to read that last part. Hehe, I usually dress in jeans and shirts. I own 1 pair of sandals, 1 pair of leather shoes, 3 boots and the rest are all rubber shoes. I also have only 2 skirts and I'm 25 years old. But I'm not really feeling boyish and I want to change my wardrobe again. Last time I changed it was 4 years ago. I can wear anything as long as I'm comfortable in them so high heels are still not in the list of possible footwear. :p
Then we decided to have a bit of adventure and look for Metrowalk. I've heard that Metrowalk is now the new haven for *ahem* pirated DVDs so I asked for directions from Tin. The guards or sales people I asked in Greenhills looked at me as though Metrowalk was not to be found anywhere in the country and I was seriously lost.
Metrowalk was a jeep ride away from Greenhills and it was so hot when we got there that we decided to take a break at Starbucks. We chatted for a while and cooled off before we explored the new mall. Most of the places in Metrowalk are food places. Misato, Starbucks, Iceberg... just to name a few. There's even one called Phi (the nickname Dawn and Arf calls me, every barkada I had gave me a new nickname) a resto and bar at the second floor.
The clothes there were nice. Arf liked the selection there better than in Greenhills. Dawn and I loved the DVD slection. We found a store that sold Korean movies and Akira Kurusawa movies! Toshiro Mifune looked so young in Stray Dog. I wanted to buy it but I had already bought Shaolin Soccer and Stepford wives. By that time I had 31 pesos left to my name and not a single ATM machine on sight.
Most of the DVDs sell for 70 pesos. My copy of the Stepford Wives was good.
Dawn splurged on DVDs :)
We separated after that and I rode a bus home with Arf. We realized that we had been walking for almost 5 hours that day and my feet hurt because I was wearing boots instead of sneakers. It was a great day.

The last day was spent with my folks at Wasabi. Wasabi is a restaurant in Makati Avenue that serves Japanese food (of course). We came there for the Sunday buffet. The food was nice because they weren't common Japanese foods. My favorite was the Seafood Thermidor and the No. 1 special. I also kept coming back for the green tea salmon sashimi.
The best part of the buffet was the dessert table. Johann was right, it is funky. I had a mango crepe with Vanilla ice cream, Chocolate Marquis, frozen Tiramisu, Green cheesecake and mango creme brulee.

After that I convinced them to go to Metrowalk with me :) I got the Village DVD hehe I loved that movie. I watched it with neal and pauline last year and I was the one who told them when it was safe to look because I was the only one looking at the screen :p

Then we went to SM north to buy a table for the new stove but we ended up buying a TV.
-------------
I'm now 25. Hmm... Arf posted a question. Quarter of a century old and what do I have to show for it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are mistaken. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.