Friday, November 27, 2009

Wave to Google

I read Rocky's facebook post and I realize that Google Wave, would be perfect for the DnD aka Dungeons and Dragons group Neal is currently in. I'm actually a part of their mailing list so I know what I have to deal with. The mailing group is a big mess of emails where the group schedules games, talks about their characters ( old ones, dead ones, new ones, characters waiting for other characters to die...), the new plots, their characters' backstories, other related DnD stuff, other non DnD related stuff... You get my point. SOmetimes, though I love reading these mails, the sheer number that their group produces each week can be daunting and it's hard to find the mails that you want to focus on.

Google Wave is perfect for them. It allows people to reply and get their messages in real time. The emails will not get confusing even if someone doesn't reply to the latest email because only one document or wave is kept updated and what's more, you can replay the wave. Replaying the wave is like looking at the email progress from its initial form to the current version, inserting replies as they happen.

I'm actually writing this while I watch the Google Wave introduction during the Google I/O. Secretly, I've wanted to work for Google since I saw their qualification exams for developers. This Google Wave video just makes me want to work for them more.

Go through the website and watch the video. Or if that's not your thing, read the Wikipedia version. It's a tool that may replace all the current online tools you may be using now. It's certainly another brilliant idea from Google.

Basically, I'm also writing this to get an invite from Rocky. Google Wave is a promising OPEN SOURCE(!!) application and the secret developer in me is itching to read the code.

I hope I get an invite.

1 comment:

Rocky Sunico said...

Thanks for participating in my Google Wave Contest of sorts!

My heart goes out to gamers everywhere, especially since my partner got me into White Wolf gaming in a major way this year. Plus I'm hoping to experiment with play-by-Wave soon with one of our fellow gamers being out of the country - it seems like the BEST way to use Wave!

Just send me a list of everyone who needs a Google Wave invite and I'll process them right away. You can use contests [at] geeky-guide.com.