Thursday, September 09, 2004

road kill and parallel universes

I may have killed a bird yesterday. I'm not sure, because I didn't hear a thud ( well it was just a small bird ). I did see a bird in front of my car diving to his doom and perhaps the body of a the same bird lying on the ground as I drove away. I did not stop the car to see if he was moving and I did not drive him to the hospital. I went to work. There were no witnesses.
Like I had a sign above my car that said, "Accidents that happen around this car are fun", something happened to me that night.
I was driving home from a friend's despidida party and a car almost hit us from behind. We were on buendia road, just as we were about to go to up the flyover to Edsa. It was a good thing I saw him, let him pass and slowed down so we wouldn't be that close to him. The driver was obviously drunk. As if that wasn't enough, just as he was about to go on the flyover, he suddenly swerves to the right, where his rear left tire goes up the end of the flyover and he even hits some posts at the other side of the road. I hope he actually got sober after that. My friends joked that an explosion would have been more fun though I doubt they knew just how bad an explosion at close range would have been to us.
I mentioned this because I was playing with the idea of parallel universes as the theme of my story for this friday. (I had planned to write one to commemorate the occasion... So far I've written 0 words.) I can only remember one other recent event that made me realize that somewhere, in a parallel universe, one version of me died.
What's worse, I imagine a day when I'm the one that doesn't get lucky at the right moment, and at the same time another version of me feels that somewhere, another version of her has died.

No comments: