Thursday, February 03, 2005

a few short (and late) introductions

Why did I start this?
well ... the 53rd Palanca award winners were just announced. I didn't win.
:D
Unless there's any way you can win even if you haven't submitted a single thing... and I realized that I should have joined back then. Why? Because I've finished my studies, I've taken and passed my board, I already had a job and no matter how busy I was, I should have joined.
Plus, I 'm way past the age where I'd be the youngest Palanca winner (though I'm not sure how old the youngest winner is plus there's the Kabataan awardees...).
So I should force myself to write and this is it.

Where did I get the title?
"Dragons don't land here" is something that just popped in my brain one day. I was driving home one day and I saw this huge billboard of the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" and it asked me ( as it asks everyone who reads it) "Where will you be?"
Good question.
My answer: here in the Philippines, the land where dragons never land and aliens too. Everything bad happens to well known countries. Too bad for them. :)

Who am I? (or a brief history)
Well, find me someone who can answer this question completely without saying their name and I'll probably ask him/her to answer the same question.
I'm a design engineer/frustrated writer who as i mentioned above, lacks any good reason to be a frustrated writer.
I've written a couple of stories and i've noticed that the best plays and short stories i have written involve at least one person dying, which by the way may be good or bad...
i still don't know.
i have lots of ideas most of the time but i don't get a chance to write them down or i don't know how to make it work yet. i found out i'm great under pressure so if i find myself hanging from a cliff i can probably finish a novel or two.
i was a weird kid. i loved reading even back then. my first book was nancy drew detective stories (hardcover novel of short stories on how to be a detective). i also had the original grimms fairy tales(also in hardcover) so in my early years i didn't know cinderella though i did notice the resemblance to Aschenputtel. my favorite fairy tale was from hans christian andersen -- the little mermaid (i also read the real version about the mermaids turning to foam and how she got a soul...) who died in the end.
yes, now i see the pattern.
i have lots of friends but i also have friends that i don't usually have contact with but are still close to me.
i used to write... a lot.
that was ages ago. before high school. probably because i lived in another world back then. heck, i even wrote on the back of my nancy drew book a story which i will never be able to read because i was still learning how to write(literally) back then.
then i got into high school and science and math kept getting in the way.
then college came and i found myself in the company of people who inspired me to write again and taught me other things as well.

Where did I get the icon?

The icon was just edited from a baby dragon picture. The baby dragon was found in a jar in Brittain. It's a hoax of course, but a really good one. I found the picture here but you'd have to settle for Neil Gaiman's version of it here because I couldn't find the article.

No comments: