Tuesday, April 05, 2005

1 c4n7 sp34k l33t

I think it started two weeks ago. Arf and I were chatting and suddenly she lets out a "w00t". which was fine because i thought it was a hoot until she started typing "ph34r" and stuff.I actually though her keyboard was missing a few vowels and she had to type with numbers. She told me it was l33t. l33t?! leet?
Apparently, though I have been using the internet for 10 years, since I have been staying clear of chat rooms and game rooms. I didn't encounter l33t.
Arf has been reading MegaTokyo (I've started too) It's a hilarious comic about two twenty something gamers stuck in Japan trying to earn money for a plane ticket home.One of the characters speaks l33t which is why she found out about it.
I nosed around the internet for resources and I found a lot. The Wikipedia entry is a great start as well as the BBC entry (the Guide to Life the Universe and Everything). I also found a Google search page that was in the l33t language. Finally, a HowTo page on l33t from linux reviews.
I was going to translate the entire post in l33t but people may suddenly get the urge to kill me so I didn't.

Now all I have to do is find out what language carding (aka Lord Jacob) is using when he says wakeke.

^_^

No comments: